Case III, Eugster v. Washington State Bar Association, Case No. C15-0375JLR (Dist. Court, WD Wash. 2015), appealed to 9th Circuit, Petition for A Writ of Certiorari.
A Petition for a Writ of Certiorari was delivered to the Supreme Court on May 17, 2017, it was docketed on May 22, 2017. The briefs in opposition are due on June 21, 2017.
Issues in Appeal to the 9th Circuit
- Whether a lawyer’s compelled membership in the WSBA (an integrated bar association) violates the lawyer’s First Amendment right of non-association.
- Whether a lawyer can be compelled to pay dues to the WSBA for speech the lawyer objects to.
- Whether providing the lawyer discipline system to the WSBA violates strict or exacting scrutiny.
Significant Pleadings in Appeal to the 9th Circuit
- Eugster’s Opening Brief
- Joint Brief of Respondents
- Doc_18_1_Memorandum Affirming Decision of the Trial Court
United States Supreme Court
- Petition for Writ Of Certiorari
- Petition denied June 26, 2017